Visitors From Around The World

Sunday, April 27, 2008

27 Apr 2008

Impressions from the Week

· So interesting to be living in a place where Ronald McDonald is totally unknown. During English class, students were describing pictures from magazines. One man had a picture of Ronald McDonald and two children. The man describing the picture said it was of a mother and her two children! The word hamburger came up in class and one of the students raised his hand and asked, “What’s a hamburger?” Most of the students had never heard of a hamburger.

· I made Banana Bread for Sunday dinner last week when our Home Teacher came for dinner. As I passed the plate to him, I asked if he would like some Banana Bread. I wish you could have seen his face. He was very confused and asked me what is was. I explained it was Banana Bread that I had made the day before. He had never heard of such a thing and was very confused how I would get a banana in the bread. I explained the process for making the bread and he finally tried it. He discovered he really likes Banana Bread a lot! His wife has been out of town and he can’t wait until she gets home because he wants me to teach her how to make it.

· We had a scary experience on Friday driving home from the bench project. We were
driving about 30 miles per hour when a man that was standing in the median wound up and hurled a fist-sized rock right at our truck just as we passed him. We were very blessed becauseitt missed the side window by just a few inches. It did leave a nice dent.

· Money here is really something. They use Congolese Francs. A lot of their money is filthy, ripped and smells horrible. I mean it smells so bad, we keep it in Ziplok baggies to keep the smell down. We can use US dollars a lot of places but they won’t accept them if there is even an 1/8 inch rip in the bill. But like I said, their money can can be totally ripped and falling apart.